Winter is an ideal time to detox in order to avoid getting sick during the cold and flu season and keep us healthy and energised.
The goal is to change the way we eat and live, just as the season changes too. Winter is a time of rest and nourishment – eating warm foods that are rich in nutrients; as well as getting involved in some gentle exercises such as yoga, pilates or walking. Here are some handy tips to get the best results out of your winter detox:
– Wear warm clothes inside and outside your home as the temperatures drops. Wearing natural fibres such as wool or cotton are preferable as they allow your skin to breathe.
– Wear warm socks inside the house as heat leaves our bodies through hands and feet, so wearing cotton or woollen socks will make a big difference in keeping us warm.
– Try skin brushing. Before your shower or bath – move a loofah in a gentle circular motion for 5-10 minutes a day – from your feet up to thighs and buttocks and from hands to arms and shoulders and the back, avoiding the face. Skin brushing helps to increase circulation and helps us detox.
– Drink hot herbal teas to keep us warm – ginger and lemon, green tea, rosehip, turmeric – are all excellent choices.
– Have warming meals such as soups, bone broths and slow cooked stews instead of cold juices and smoothies.
– Avoid cold foods, iced water, sugar, excess alcohol, cereal grains, processed foods, and excess raw foods.
Here is a sample meal menu:
-upon rising – warm water with juice from half a lemon
-Breakfast – egg frittata with spinach, sweet potato and kale
-Mid-morning – cup of herbal tea
-Lunch – pumpkin and lentil soup
-Afternoon snack – a handful of mixed nuts and seeds; cup of herbal
tea with lemon and half teaspoon of honey
-Dinner – 1 cup of miso soup; poached salmon with broccolini, brussel sprouts and roast beetroot and sweet potatoes
– half a cup of stewed apple and rhubarb with cinnamon
– Get active – commit to 45 minutes of exercise a day. Gentle yoga or pilates are a great way to start or end the day as these exercises help to move the lymph – which is important in your body’s detox.
– Herbals containing Andrographis, Astragalus or Echinacea can also be useful in improving your immune system to ward off colds and flu.